Possibly silly question from a wide-eyed newbie ;-)

Hello,
	I have just installed the Hurd from the Debian H2 CDs (it was
quite easy - well done for the good CDs and documentation).  I've been
reading a bit about translators and was really impressed with the idea of
"mounting" a remote ftp server on the local filesystem.
I was wondering: has anyone written a translator for smtp (mail)?
If this hasn't been done yet maybe it would be cool to be able to have
(e.g.) ~/mail/outbox and ~/mail/inbox and have your new emails appear as
files in ~/mail/inbox and any file you cp into ~/mail/outbox automagically
emailed?
If it hasn't been done and someone wants to do it, I'd offer some help
(but I have a lot to learn about the Hurd).

Sorry if it was a stupid question or a FAQ.

Best wishes,
		Bill.