Re:

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:33:24PM -0700, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> >From: asif rafi [mailto:s_asif_r@hotmail.com]
> >
> >i want to learn hacking teach me it is an request
>
> Good luck.  I have been trying to find a "mentor" for Debian and/or the Hurd
> for months now.. :-)

If you try to hack, and have problems, you'll usually get some help.

Free Software can be given away in abundance because it uses up no
resources to do so.  A hackers time is the only limiting factor.
Asking a hacker to give up this most valuable resource is a bit
unrealistic.  What have you (two) offered in return?

(no response required)

Read the code, read Wolfgangs Hurd Hacking Guide (and do the
examples), profile and optimise something (anything, a shell util).

Some newbies in india took the JFS code from Linux and managed to
create a read-only JFS Hurd server.  Remember, you don't have to
reboot while Hurd hacking.

All this assumes you know fully how the Hurd & GNU Mach work.  If you
don't then read the docs, experiment, figure it out, and then write
your own docs so that others can benefit from your work and
experience.

(I can help you: help yourself!)

If you want Free Software, or just the Hurd, to succeed then you need
to make a commitment and do some work, it won't die without you but it
would be great to have you on board :)

Ciaran O'Riordan