Re: OT: Palladium

nisse@lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:

> We're quickly getting off topic here, but I'm not so worried about
> the technological side of TCPA/Palladium.

It is worth mentioning that the pure evil (tm) is nor incarnated by
TCPA, but rather by Palladium.  A TCPA chip does indeed have
interesting features.  At least I would be happy about a chip
especially for cryptography or a chip that would tell me when someone
has modified the hardware without my knowledge.

What is evil is what could be done _with_ TCPA, i.e.: what Palladium
is going to be.  The supporters of Palladium usually claim that this
system will protect _the_ user, although it wakes more the impression
that it will try to protect _from_ the user.

		moritz
--
moritz@duesseldorf.ccc.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199