Hurd freezes

I've tried a couple of times to install the Hurd on a clean drive. I've experienced several hard freezes, requiring the power to be cycled.

I expected the Hurd to be more resilient against such lockups, but before I assume it's not, I thought I'd better wait and see if I'm just too inexperienced to know the ways around problems.

I never quite get finished with the installation, as problems arise (see http://faculty.acu.edu/~westk/A_Beginners_Second_Attempt_to_Install_the_Hurd.html for details). At one point I typed "mount" to see what drives were mounted, and the system froze. I couldn't switch to a different VT, or telnet/ssh in (no network yet), etc. Can I assume that once the system is properly running I would have been able to switch to a different VT or ssh in and kill the offending "mount" process?

Can I also assume this is just part of the "alpha" quality of this stage of development, and in the future I'll see more stability from the Hurd?

Thanks!

--
Kent