Re: What's the command to create swap in hurd

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:02:14PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Corking :)
>
> Hey, thats my word. :)

I know :)

>    Definitely--and I would've said "GNU/Linux" if that's what I had meant ;)
>
> I was refering to your first paragraph when you said: Hurd is running
> well enough for you that you don't [need] to touch Linux anymore?

So was I....

>    (you get the point ;), and this is all kernel-stuff, right?) :\
>
> The Hurd replaces what used to be in the kernel, so one could call
> it a kernel I guess.

... though, I know--it's not really proper. If I weren't confident that you knew
this already, I'd be explaining to you that The Hurd is a multiserver designed
to subsume the functionality of a kernel in a traditional unix-like system...,
etc. But the point was, as you said, that they're in basically the same role.
And I -did- mean the things in that role. The last time I used GNU/Hurd,
everything actually seemed to be working really well...,
except for The Hurd itself (as I noted) :)

>    Just put me on your list as `already converted', so you remember not to
>    worry about me in the future (I even told the Western-Digital
>    tech-support guy that I was running "... Debian--GNU on Linux", when my
>    last hard disk died--then I had to un-confuse him) :)
>
> That should have been Linux on GNU, not the other way around.

> Since you are using a GNU variant and running Linux on that.

Isn't the conventional viewpoint that the kernel of a system is the
`bottom' layer? So, GNU runs on top of Linux, and Linux runs on top of
hardware, right (`between a GNU and a hard place?' 8^))?

And, as someone once pointed out to me, "GNU/Linux" looks a
lot like the same sort of pseudomathematical pun as "TCP/IP" (and,
about "TCP/IP", he said: `That's pronounced `TCP over IP', mister
math-genius. Like `root-two over two'').

> I prefer just saying that I am running a GNU variant; it easier to say
> than "GNU slash Linux" and it raises some eyebrows at the same time.

Heh. There was actually a long ellipsis after I said "GNU" to the guy, and he
interjected "Whaaa?!??". I said "... on Linux", and he went, "Oh! I know what
Linux is!", as I slapped my forehead.
Maybe he did know what Linux was, and maybe he didn't....
He probably thought that `Linux' was RedHat (`technical support
is usually more support than technical', someone once told me) :\

I'm generally uncomfortable talking on the phone with `tech support'
people anyway, so my only firm goal was to get him to tell me that WDC would replace my disk :\, so I bailed out as soon as it was clear that
he understood that I was using Linux to control my HD and that, if it
was telling me that the HD was FUBAR'd, it was probably true, and he
should tell me `yes, just send us your drive and we'll send you back a
new one'. Maybe that much was wrong....

--
"Under capitalism man exploits man.
 Under communism it's the other way around."