Re: /hurd/kbd missing or deprecated?

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 09:52:47PM +0100, Michael Graham wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > The Hurd package got recently changed. /hurd/kbd has been removed, so
> > you can't run X from the Mach console anymore. You should run the Hurd
> > console (console -d vga [...]) with the option --repeat=/dev/kbd, like
> > 'console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=/dev/kbd -d generic_speaker
> > /dev/vcs'
>
> Thanks, I got it working. I was wonder if you (or someone else on the
> list :) knows why when I logout of X the console is full of /'s? It
> still works but it isn't very usable (I'm using the vesa driver in case
> that helps)

Yeah, this is a known problem with the Vesa driver, me and somebody else
noticed it as well. One solution is to detach the Hurd console (via
ctrl+alt+backspace) and reattach it (via console -d vga [...]). Using
the ati driver made this issue go away for me.

Maybe Marco has an idea why this happens.

> > This will hopefully just work[tm] once the Hurd console is started
> > automatically on bootup.
>
> I thought this would be easy to I just had a script in /etc/init.d/ that
> did
>
> console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=/dev/kbd -d generic_speaker /dev/vcs
>
> and when it ran at S99 I got a blank screen, does this command require
> me to login? Or do I need to run something else first?

Hmm, good question. I haven't tried this. Perhaps somebody else can shed
some insight into this.

Michael