Re: GNU/Hurd on VirtualBox

On 5/19/10, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org> wrote:
> On 19/05/10 22:52, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
>> Hi, folks.
>>
>> I'm downloading right now the L1 Debian GNU/Hurd installation DVD. I'm
>> wondering if GNU/Hurd can be run through Virtualbox-ose. I'm tired of
>> Qemu,
>> it's enough slow now, with the version 0.12.3. I'd like to try others
>> virtual
>> machines.
>>
>> Do you know any trouble for run Hurd on Virtualbox?.
>
> It works. Problems I noticed when I used it:
> - It takes a very long time to boot up compared to qemu.
> - networking temporarily hangs when downloading stuff (e.g. wget or
> apt-get).
> Connecting to the VM through ssh and downloading stuff that way works fine.
> think Samuel or somebody mentioned it could be a problem with IRQs.
>
> Emilio

Does it work on qemu-kvm?

This is just pretty subjective:  I've run other OS's on virtualbox
(paravirtualization enabled), and qemu-kvm (paravirtualization
enabled), and I found qemu faster for them, so not sure if you'll
notice gain by migrating...  The only thing I noticed a pain under
qemu was savevm/loadvm, meaning that I prefer to shut-down on qemu,
but other than that I felt better with quemu...  It might be with no
paravirtualization then virtualbox really boosts things up compared to
quemu, I don't know...

Thanks,

--
Javier.