Re: Enable PIE by default in GCC?

On 19 Jun 2017, at 22:13, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Pino Toscano, on dim. 18 juin 2017 21:33:53 +0200, wrote:
>> as $subj asks, should we ask for GCC with PIE enabled by default, like
>> is done in the majority of the other archs (i.e. [1])?
>
> Ideally, yes. In practice, it works but gdb is lost with PIE
> executables, so that has to be fixed first.

I see you suffer from RAS syndrome :)

In all seriousness though, is there anywhere explaining what the issue with GDB
is? I see [1] but that is from a while ago and talking about PIEs themselves
not working. It's not completely out of the question that I will look into it
(though no promises, I have a lot of things I want to get done...).

Regards,
James

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/open_issues/gcc/pie.html