Re: crosshurd x86 dependency issues

Hello,

Amos Jeffries, le mar. 30 mai 2023 04:59:45 +1200, a ecrit:
> I picked crosshurd to do the bootstrap process.
>
>   crosshurd -t /src/hurd/deb-crosshurd/hurd64 -s gnu -c x86_64 -d unstable
>
> Initially it reveals that Debian ports has no packages yet (sad, but oh
> well).

As mentioned on bug-hurd, since the ABI isn't really stable yet I prefer
not to upload packages there yet.

> After patching crosshurd/sources.list to allow it to use Simons' temporary
> repo:
>  https://people.debian.org/~sthibault/tmp/hurd-amd64
> (along with the necessary key registration for apt)
>
> The output becomes:
>
> E: Package 'isc-dhcp-client' has no installation candidate
> E: Package 'gettext-base' has no installation candidate
> E: Package 'info' has no installation candidate
> E: Unable to locate package cardmgr-gnumach
> E: Unable to locate package wireless-tools-gnumach

Yes, these are not available yet. Help is welcome on fixing the build of
isc-dhcp and gettext in hurd-i386, and they'll probably just build on
hurd-amd64 as well.

Concerning texinfo, it seems that the packaging doesn't support
cross-building yet since it generates documentation with its
just-compiled (cross)-built makedoc, even with -B. Contribution will be
welcome for general cross-buildability.

Concerning cardmgr-gnumach and wireless-tools-gnumach, these are
probably not worth spending time since they are mostly outdated. I have
now removed them in the crosshurd repo.

That said you can already just comment them by hand from your
/etc/crosshurd/packages/

And also, you can as well just follow the wiki-documented debootstrap
method
https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/open_issues/64-bit_port/
which does build fine since it uses a reduced set of packages (and cares
much less about installability).

... or simply the prebuilt image from

https://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/initrd-amd64.img.gz

Samuel