Re: poweroff support on Hurd?

Martin-Éric Racine, le jeu. 07 déc. 2023 11:31:44 +0200, a ecrit:
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 11:26 AM Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Martin-Éric Racine, le jeu. 07 déc. 2023 08:16:34 +0200, a ecrit:

> > > [2023-12-07 08:14](HURD i386)perkelix@pxeth:~$ showtrans /servers/shutdown
> > > /hurd/shutdown
> > > [2023-12-07 08:14](HURD i386)perkelix@pxeth:~$ showtrans /servers/acpi
> > > /hurd/acpi
> > > [2023-12-07 08:14](HURD i386)perkelix@pxeth:~$ ls /servers/acpi/tables/
> > > APIC  FACP  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT  SSDT
> > > [2023-12-07 08:14](HURD i386)perkelix@pxeth:~$
> >
> > Ok, then I don't any immediate idea, this needs investigation on your
> > system.
>
> Possibly.  The thing is, given how Hurd remains a sketchily documented
> OS,

?? There are plenty of wiki pages, and the whole source code is just
there to be looked at. The shutdown translator is 160 lines long and
will tell you which RPC it's trying to do to shut down the machine. From
there you have everything.

Read the source, Luke.

This was said to people 20-30 years ago when the free software movement
deployed, this is just exactly the same now, for exactly the same
reasons.

> I wouldn't remotely know where to look or using what tools.

mach_print("foobar\n"); is a very powerful tool, for a start, to know
what is actually happening.

Samuel