Re: Debconf i18n session 2/7: lenny i18n release goals

Il giorno lun, 18/06/2007 alle 10.40 +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino ha
scritto:
> 2007/6/17, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
> > *) "tdebs" and related ideas (see wiki page)
> >  still moving ideas
> >  not really ready for being a release goal
>
> I think that, at least, the glibc changes need to be able to update
> translations post-release should be pushed for lenny.
>
> This would allows us to provide an empty "language-translation"
> package in lenny and have it updated post-release through
> proposed-updates if we wanted to. There are some caveats to this
> approach as described in
> http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/TranslationDataDistribution in the
> "Translations in binary packages" option.
>
> If the Tdebs approach is not clear we could introduce this (which is,
> after all, what Ubuntu is doing) to see if translations teams would
> actually *use* and maintain translation updates for our official
> released distribution.
>
> If we see translation teams do not properly maintain those then it
> doesn't make sense to going through the tdebs route, is there?

This approach sounds good to me. I think we should suggest localepurge
to be installed on every system. I see another little issue that we need
to manage in some way: translators always work on last version, how do
we manage the translation of older version. I mean if I start
translating package X now from source repository or unstable, but most
of the strings are in stable are you planning some automatic script to
update stable strings? And how do you plan to manage string that are
only present in previous version?

Bye
sc

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc@linux.it  http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.