Re: I18N question about shortcuts.

Paul Elliott wrote:
> I am writting a program in gtkmm. Code that creates menu items typically
> looks like this:
>
>     menulist.push_back( Gtk::Menu_Helpers::MenuElem("_Edit",
>       sigc::mem_fun(*this, &TreeView_WithPopup::on_menu_file_popup_generic)=
>  ) );
>     menulist.push_back( Gtk::Menu_Helpers::MenuElem("_Process",
>       sigc::mem_fun(*this, &TreeView_WithPopup::on_menu_file_popup_generic)=
>  ) );
>     menulist.push_back( Gtk::Menu_Helpers::MenuElem("_Remove",
>       sigc::mem_fun(*this, &TreeView_WithPopup::on_menu_file_popup_generic)=
>  ) );
>
> The character "_" in menu element names means that the character
> following will be a keyboard shortcut. But these characters must
> not be duplicated for a given menu.
>
> Do translators know how "_" is used to define shortcuts and how to
> choose "_" character to avoid duplications?

I think does it ( msgfmt(1) ):

 --check-accelerators[=CHAR]
              check presence of keyboard accelerators for menu items

> What comments are appropriate to inform translators what is going on?

You can enable xgettext to insert comments in the resulting po-s if you define some regexp that should match a comment
right before the line that uses gettext. Look in the xgetext manpage.

--
Regards,
EddyP