Re: Aptitude localized defaults string

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:00:53AM +0100, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> was heard to say:
> Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
> > Aptitude's new and fuzzy strings include:
> > ___
> > #: src/generic/apt/apt.cc:173
> > #. ForTranslators: Set this string to the name of a configuration
> > #. file in /usr/share/aptitude that overrides defaults for your
> > #. language.  This is particularly intended for overriding entries
> > #. in the Aptitude::Sections::Descriptions tree.
> > #.
> > #. For instance, Sections localized for the language .ww might be
> > #. stored in a file named aptitude-defaults.ww, which would be
> > #. indicated by translating "Localized defaults|" below to
> > #. "aptitude-defaults.ww".  If you use this mechanism, you should
> > #. also add your defaults file to pkgdata_DATA in Makefile.am.
> > msgid "Localized defaults|"
> > ___
> >
> > I don't run Linux, and although I know fink [1] uses dpkg, I don't think
> > it uses aptitude: there is no </usr/share/aptitude> directory on my OSX
> > machine (a UNIX install).

  OSX users run aptitude?  Wow.

> > Could someone please tell me if there is, indeed, an "aptitude-
> > defaults.vi" file at this location on Debian?

  Since this mechanism was just added, I can guarantee you that there is
no aptitude-defaults.vi; no-one has created one yet.

> > In any case, where is the Makefile.am to which this defaults file should
> > be added?

  In the top-level directory of the source tree, where the main defaults
file is and where your new one should be added.

> > Is this something we translators do once, to help all users, or is it
> > something each user does locally?

  "aptitude-defaults.XX" will be loaded (if you translate that string to
its file-name, as with, e.g., README) when the program starts up,
overriding settings in "aptitude-defaults" and "section-descriptions".
The main reason I added it is so that section translations can be added
now that section descriptions are not hardcoded into the program, but
translators are free to modify any other defaults they want to.  (user
settings will of course override anything specified in the configuration
file)

  Daniel