Re: Use upstream packaging translations in DDTP

On 8 April 2013 06:03, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I'm upstream for some app (epoptes), and also Debian maintainer for
it. It's been translated in 35 languages.
I could include any packaging text (short, long description...) in the
epoptes.pot file, and have it translated in 35 languages too.

What I'm then missing is some way to automate the .po => DDTP process.

There is as yet no simple way to use po files to translate debian descriptions. It's been suggested before but there's not enough developers to make it happen. And also debian descriptions have specific formatting requirements, though I don't know enough about po files to know whether that's an issue or not.

I also don't see the point of automating it, how often does your description change?

I think many projects could follow the same approach.
In the majority of the cases, package descriptions are not distro
specific, so _allowing_ upstream translations for packaging text sounds
like a good idea to me...

In an ideal world I'd allow the DDTSS to import PO files as initial translations. Then the normal review process by the language teams can handle it from there.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/