Re: Problems in accessing the subversion repository

Quoting Holger Wansing (linux@wansing-online.de):

> > It is like 10 years that you're saying this, you know, Marc? ;-)
>
> Depending on the base of knowledge the people have, which read the
> translation, it goes either " What means Programmschnittstelle? ", when
> you use »Programmschnittstelle«, or they say "What the h**l is ABI?
> This is a german translation, why don't they use a german word for this?",
> when you do not translate it and use »ABI«.
>
> For many terms, there is no "perfect" translation existing.
> There are always people, who criticize it, whatever you write, depending
> on their environment.
>

> So, it's as always:
> What you do as a translator, it is always wrong.

My usual trick, in such case, is to use something like:

"Programmschnittstelle (»ABI«)"

though it seems, at least according to Wikipedia, that
Programmschnittstelle is more "API" than "ABI" which should be Binärschnittstelle

(french would be "interface binaire-programme (« ABI »)" and
"interface de programmation (« API »)"

I call this trick, the "technoid" trick.....:-). I just try to not
overuse it and I tend to favor the translated term, particularly when
I have to use it several times in the same text.