Re: po statistics

Hello Thomas

(adding debian-i18n and debian-l10n-devel lists to CC because I don't know very well the codebase)

El 17/11/23 a las 11:44, Thomas Lange escribió:
Hi all,

currently I'm looking at the po statistics. I think I do not understand
much of it, but I wonder why so many statistics are generated.

I believe that these stats use a list of languages created by the script gen-files.pl:

https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/-/blob/master/english/international/l10n/scripts/gen-files.pl

and the list of languages is done by gathering all the languages present in .po files in testing or unstable archive, using the material in:

https://i18n.debian.org/material/

(that is created by the https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/dl10n/-/blob/master/cron/gen-material script)

If I look at
/srv/www.debian.org/www/international/l10n/po
I see more than 9400 html files. Wow!
We provide the "Status of PO files for language code: de — German " in
15 different languages (ls de.*.html) and all german files (including
de_*.*.html) are 112. What is this good for?
I'll just pick one:
de_PY.nl.html is
"Toestand van de PO-bestanden voor de taalcode: de_PY — German @tmpl_lang@ndash; Paraguay "
who needs this?

I guess that the different scripts just combine all the different language pairs, but frankly I don't know.

First, why is the list of languages on page
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
so long? Shouldn't we just list the main lagnuages, without it's variants?
Should we ignore all "Unknown language"?

This is a bug processing languages with ISO in ISO 639-2 set:

Let's look at these three:
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/log
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/log_DE
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/man_DE

They list some packages for which
"translation is underway" or "already translated".
Fine.

But why do we then add a long list of package names under the section
"Packages already i18n-ed"
"These packages are translated in other languages, and then could be translated into your own language. "

This is the list of "pending translations", in fact.

And at the end of the web page we list again all languages, same list
as on the top of the page.

The list of languages is repeated at top and end of the page since almost the first revision of the corresponding template, I guess it was done by convenience.

I've just updated /english/international/l10n/po/tmpl.src removing the line that inserts the list again at the end of the pages.

I like to know which information is really needed for the translators
then I'll try to fix the Makefile to get rid of the unneeded files.

I'm CC'ing debian-i18n list, but many translators are not subscribed there, just only subscribed to their -l10n-language lists, and I guess that this info is mostly used by the translators translating package information (not website pages), so I'm not sure how to reach them.

For my case (Spanish), I'll send a mail to -l10n-spanish linking to this message and your message, for the case they can provide some feedback.

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona