im-config and Wayland [was: When will next release of im-config happen?]

Hi all!

On 2020-03-25 03:39, Osamu Aoki wrote:
3. Drop wayland/systemd support from im-config and make it for pure
   X system such as fvwm if someone wants.  I am not interested to
   maintain after this point.  At this stage, im-config shoud not
   be installed by default.

I have thought about that, and tend to disagree. Even if the GNOME devs ignore non-IBus IM frameworks, that's not enough of a reason to bury the idea with providing a tool to help IM users, who want options, with the configuration.

Currently, if you use GNOME on Wayland, you need to uninstall (or fake-uninstall) IBus to be able to use im-config for non-IBus frameworks. That's a rather cumbersome prerequisite.

I have submitted a merge request which I think improves it a bit:

https://salsa.debian.org/input-method-team/im-config/-/merge_requests/5

With the proposed change in place, you can use im-config to set the variables also on GNOME on Wayland. The daemon isn't launched, though; you need to do that manually.

When testing I had both IBus and Fcitx installed including a couple of IM engines. I can switch to Fcitx, reboot, start the daemon via the "fcitx -d" command (e.g. using <Alt>+<F2>), and start inputting Chinese. (Sure, the ibus processes are running unnecessarily due to GNOME.) Then I can switch to IBus, reboot, and start using some IBus IM.

This is an additional option. The option with uninstalling IBus, which makes the automatic launching of the daemon work, is still there.

I have access to merge, but I would appreciate some feedback before I do.

--
Cheers,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj