Re: 6to4 tunnel trouble

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Jeroen Massar a écrit :
>> Martin List-Petersen wrote:
>> [..]
>>> your switches are layer2, tcp/ip (be it v4 or v6) goes on top of that
>>> and your switches wouldn't know the difference.
>>
>> Unfortunately that is not really the case. Especially when it comes to
>> handling multicast there are certain (not many though) switches that do
>> not properly handle multicast, as such all IPv6 Neighbor Discovery goes
>> bad. Sometimes it does work at one point and then fails at another. This
>> happened to several 'expensive' switches and also to cheap ones.
>
> Don't cheap "dumb" switches to handle multicast as broadcast ?

That is one solution, and in that case multicast could work.

The but here is that some switches only handle a subset of the MAC
addresses which are meant for multicast purposes and as IPv6 uses a
different range than the standard set, some of these setups break.

>> Generally putting an interface in PROMISC handles the problem partially,
>> but that is something one wants to avoid of course.
>
> I knew about the promisc trick as a workaround with broken ethernet NICs
> or drivers, but how could it help when the switch is broken ?

It helped in some cases I have encountered, don't know exactly why
though; replacing the hardware in question is generally the best
solution depending on what one wants to achieve.

Greets,
 Jeroen