specifying source address of outbound packets with multiple IPv6 interfaces

If a Linux machine is serving as both a tunnel endpoint and a router, it has
multiple IPv6 interfaces with global IPv6 addresses.

How do I configure which IPv6 address will be used as the source address of
outgoing packets from the machine?

It has been suggested to me in other discussions that the solution is to use
the src option of the ip route command, but I haven't been able to make this
work, despite the documentation in the ip(8) manual page which indicates that
it should do what I want.

Has anyone here had any luck with this one?