Re: it's safe to run a web hosting server with the unstable distributions ?

Typing away merrily, John Haggerty produced the immortal words:
> Is there a good example of something in debian breaking a general
> script/program server side?

Not that comes to mind.

But what happens when, eg, perl is upgraded to 5.6?  The perl4 -> perl5
transition broke enough stuff.  Will this new one break things?  If so,
will Debian fork perl just to maintain backwards compatibility?

The ISP where I work still has perl4 on its servers, for this very
reason.  When a customer has something which works, they can be very
reluctant to make modifications just to use a newer version.

Predicting the future is tricky.  Being defensive in the way that you
set things up can help you bypass some of the uncertainty.

Defensive SysAdmin-ing as opposed to Defensive Programming.  :^)
--
HTML email - just say no --> Phil Pennock
"We've got a patent on the conquering of a country through the use of force.