Re: linux routing

Quoting Kevin <cog@iwz.com>:

> The subnet is 255.255.255.224, I just gave those ips as an example.  I
> need
> the router because it is being used with wireless equipment, and as far
> as I
> know they dont make any kind of wireless wic for a cisco.  The "router
> (38.185.233.175)" is connected to our hub which then goes to our cisco
> and
> the t1.  I need to route wireless clients ips through the 38.185.233.175
> router.

Cisco just recently purchased Aironet Communications, which produces a wireless
bridge, which is exactly what it says:  a bridge.  Ethernet (10BaseT) on one
end, antenna on the other.  At the remote location you'd have another wireless
bridge.  No messy routing to worry about, unless you wanted to throw a 2-nic
router in somewhere.  I've worked with the Aironet devices and they do a fairly
nice job.

I've also worked with ciscos running over microwave gear.  Just v.35 between the
wireless and the cisco.

What is the interface to the wireless unit?

If you want to route, you could break your 255.255.255.224 subnet into two
subnets of 255.255.255.240, one for each location.  You would lose two IP
addresses, though.

Another option is using masquerading/network address translation/port address
translation.

--
John Kramer
jbkramer@mad.scientist.com