Re: mail server w/ 65000++ users

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 04:10:40PM +0800, Chad A. Adlawan wrote:
>     does anybody have any URL's or docs w/ talks on how to build
>     a mail server (both Exim and Sendmail are OK w/ me) with more
>     than 65,000 users ? i.e., what are the available methods (and
>     what are the best ones) of having mail users w/o having them on
>     /etc/passwd.

i'd suggest postfix + cyrus. from comments in the postfix-users list, it
seems to be a nearly ideal combination for doing what you want.

both are packaged for debian.

postfix is at http://www.postfix.org/
URL for cyrus should be in the package's documentation.

i haven't used cyrus, but i'm a big fan of postfix - wouldn't use
anything else these days, and i've tried all of the available MTAs over
the last 5 or 6 years.

hint, for performance you probably want to look at a machine with
multiple fast scsci drives for the mail spool (raid striping), formatted
with reiserfs. and lots of memory, of course.  CPU speed isn't a big
issue - mail systems are I/O bound.

craig

--
craig sanders