Re: can apache log to MySQL ?

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Chris Wagner wrote:
>At 09:23 PM 5/11/00 +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>>it's faster for some things, but i find it really clumsy and difficult
>>to work with. postgres' psql is vastly superior to the mysql admin tool
>>- and from what i hear, psql is supposed to be even better in the new
>>version 7.
>
>I was only considering the application to web stats.  For any kind of "real"
>database work I'ld say use Postgres.  For elementary or trivial purposes,
>MySQL's speed makes it worth it.  Especially for webstats.  If you have even
>a moderately busy site, the log files can get enormous.  In a piping
>situation, a slow database could even slow down the web server.

One thing that just occurred to me, this can solve the problem with reverse
DNS lookups.  We can have a table of reverse DNS data from the web clients
with time-stamps (so it can be expired after a configured amount of time),
then after a successful DNS lookup we can do a select of all entries matching
that IP and put the DNS name in the table entry.

My personal web server is lightly loaded (20MB transferred in a busy week).
But it takes several hours to do all the DNS lookups.  I once had a power
failure during this time which caused my stats to be skipped with was a real
PITA.  Doing it through a database could solve this (amoung many other
things).

Then if the web page stats were all in a database there would be lots of cool
options like "click on one of the top URLs of the week for a graph of how
popular it was in all previous weeks".

--
My current location - X marks the spot.