Re: Satellite connection....

Ciao,
 Tue, May 16, 2000 at 12:43:30PM +0000, Jerzy Miszczyk wrote:

> Hello all....
>
> Is there a Linux solution utilising satellite technology? Normaly it
> requires a standard connection (modem, leased line) to an ISP and data
> download happens via satellite. Solutions known to me support MS Win
> environment. It is possible to configure with a special card a "satellite
> server" to act as gateway for a network.
> I would like to find out if similar thing is possible for Linux gateway...
> and if "yes" what hardware works :))

yes, I do with SkyMedia sat card and EuropeOnLine as provider, but...it
would be necessary to use a proxy 'cause EOL gives access only to an IP
address...but the doesn't allow any connection other than to 8080, so you
can attach a squid but you can't use icp packet to check connection and
switch automagically to terrestrial link if the sat down.
I know about ppl working to let it switch with separate programs...but don't
know the status of it.

--

Bye
			+--------+ Maybe you are searching for freedom
			+--------+          I found it in linux.......
--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with