Re: secret data for php pages

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:23:18PM +0200, Robert Varga wrote:

> > Store the mysql connection information in a PHP file in the webspace.  I
> > often create a file db_config.php3 and it looks like this:
> >
> > <?
> >   $dbhost   = "localhost";
> >   $dbuser   = "someuser";
> >   $dbpasswd = "somepassword";
> >   mysql_connect ($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpasswd) or
> >     die("Unable to connect to mysql server ($dbhost) ...");
> > ?>
> >

> The problem is that anyone who can put up a php page can download every
> php page _source_ there is on the webserver (see my initial post).
> Therefore the password is retrievable this way.

Nor would the above script be persistent no?  I don't do any PHP.

What we do is generate an initial connection to db when server starts
up as root.  The server then changes uid/gid to nobody:nogroup.  Now
that is with WN.  Hardly stock debian setup.  ;^)  Nor do we let users
onto the machines with that setup; it's staff only.  Period.

As an alternative, you might be able to set server id read only depending
on how much updating and run the updates suid, etc....

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039