PAM (?) and anonymous CVS with SSH problem (Was: Problem accessing your CVS repo of Java Autoconf macros

I manage an anonymous CVS server (its user's guide is
<http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/autoconf-Java/>), using SSH, as
described in:

http://kitenet.net/programs/sshcvs/

It worked in 'slink' and fails with 'potato' (because of PAM, I assume).

The message I get in the server's logs is:

Jun 16 10:49:09 nizan sshd[26330]: Faking authloop for illegal user anoncvs
from 194.2.214.250 port 4068

(and the user receives a demand for a password, even when it has the key.)
According to the SSH sources, the only case where you can have it is when the
very user is denied access. The user is:

anoncvs:VXz2/bC98RZNs:500:500:Anonymous CVS:/home/anoncvs:/bin/ash

and has a valid shell. The PAM configuration is the standard one:

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so
auth       required     pam_env.so # [1]

account    required     pam_unix.so

session    required     pam_unix.so
session    optional     pam_lastlog.so # [1]
session    optional     pam_motd.so # [1]
session    optional     pam_mail.so standard # [1]

password   required     pam_unix.so

Any idea?