Re: tcp connection

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 12:43:45AM -0400, Chris Wagner wrote:
> At 10:48 PM 6/16/00 -0500, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
> >Sockets?  Butyou would definitely have seen this more than a couple of
> >times.
>
> No, not sockets, sockets are way down on the stack.  This is the protocol
> that says what the octets mean and do.  It's the common thread among all the
> high level protocols and is directly below them in the stack.  But I can't
> think of the darn name.

What I think you're thinking of is just IP.  You probably haven't been seeing it, because there is no concept of connection in TCP/IP stacks until you hit TCP, but here's how your connection kinda works (at least on 2 *nix boxen):

peer<-->socket filehandle<-->transport<-->socket filehandle<-->peer

"transport" here can be one of many things, such as:
socket fd<-->unix domain socket<-->socket fd

or

socket fd<-->TCP<-->IP<-->ip transport(LAN/PPP/X.25/SmokeSignals)<-
->IP<-->TCP<-->socket fd

Now, if you actually mean "what octets mean and do", those are actually defined higher than TCP, and are laid out in the specs for those respective protocols.

i.e.:
Telnet Protocol: RFC 854/855
FTP:	RFC 959
TFTP:	RFC 1350
POP3:	RFC 1939
HTTP/1.1:	RFC 2068

Hope that helps.
--
Love is like a friendship caught on fire.  In the beginning a flame, very
pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering.  As love