Re: tcp connection

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Chris Wagner wrote:
>What I meant by that was what "octets mean and do" in terms of establishing
>and maintaining the connection.  Like, what octets are exchanged that tell
>each machine, "yes the connection is established".  That protocol has a name.

It is called TCP - Transmission Control Protocol.  RFC793.

If you have doc-rfc package installed:
file:/usr/doc/doc-rfc/rfc793.txt.gz

Anyone who calls the protocol "Transport Control Protocol" is stupid and
should be ignored.  Instruct such people to read the documents and learn.

Russell Coker

PS  There's no need to read 2500 RFC.  A zgrep of the indexes will usually
allow you to find what you want rapidly.