Re: resource limits?

> > root$ man ulimit
> Isn't this a bash shell level thing?
> % ulimit
> ulimit: Command not found.

> So what happens when you have users using tcsh? ulimit is not available in
       limit [-h] [resource [maximum-use]]

> tcsh. Can't users also change their ulimit settings? What about preventing
they can only lower  limits enforced by admin.

> fork bombs & such?
this is limit's output at one of our university servers:
>limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    1000000 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     256
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         256
openfiles       256

fork bomb won't do much with limited maxproc etc..

under Debian GNU/Linux you set it in /etc/login.defs:

#
# Login configuration initializations:
#
#       ERASECHAR       Terminal ERASE character ('\010' = backspace).
#       KILLCHAR        Terminal KILL character ('\025' = CTRL/U).
#       UMASK           Default "umask" value.
#       ULIMIT          Default "ulimit" value.
#
# The ERASECHAR and KILLCHAR are used only on System V machines.
# The ULIMIT is used only if the system supports it.
# (now it works with setrlimit too; ulimit is in 512-byte units)
#
# Prefix these values with "0" to get octal, "0x" to get hexadecimal.
#
ERASECHAR       0177
KILLCHAR        025
UMASK           002