Re: Adding new network service - how?

Art,

How does the server get fired off? inetd? Stand alone? hosts.allow is used by tcpd, only if use tcpd explicitly to start the server.

Can you connect via telnet locally?

-- Ghane

At 01:06 PM 6/26/2000 -0600, Art Sackett wrote:
Greetings, All:

Please forgive me if this is documented somewhere -- a pointer to the
documentation would be greatly appreciated!

I've got a custom (just wrote it) standalone TCP/IP server daemon that listens
on a high port and works fine servicing connections from localhost. However,
when I try to connect (via telnet) from any other machine on the network, I
get "connection refused". I tried editing /etc/hosts.allow so it contains the
single line ALL:ALL and then /etc/init.d/netbase restart, to no avail.
(Reverted back to what it used to be right after -- it's an internet-connected
machine.)

I know it has to be an easy, probably obvious, operation to get this port
opened up, I just cannot find it. Any help anyone can provide would be
appreciated.

--
----   Art Sackett   ----