Multisystem backup

Ok I finally need to build a central backup "server". Looking at
utilizing an old p233 w/64Mram, 10bT NIC and an 8GB HD w/ the spud for
our deb release. Here are the concerns that I have:

1) Is NFS a good idea? I am nervous about the obvious solution of NFS
mount then tar the files. security is the obvious concern but what about
locking and access.

2) Is there a solution that will run client side but still wait for
other jobs to finish first?

3) What solutions are actually out there that allow recovery of files
from other systems?

I know this seems really open but I don't want to "lead" responses.

TIA
--
Jaysen