Re: How many ethernet...

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Carlos Barros wrote:

> ... can a pentium 100MHz/32MB can hold?
>
> I mean I want it to be a router with all ethernet at 10Mbps
>
> I've use it with 2 nics and work. Now the problem is the hardware limitation
> when acting as a router, and i have no where to search for this info.

	Well, 4 100Mbit and 3 10Mbit is doable with a K6-233, asuming
a good ethernet card (such as a proper tulip units, low overhead).
Now, using say ne200 clones would be a bad idea.

	8 100Mbit interfaces on a K6-3 450Mhz w/ 1MB l3 cache and the
right quad card is doable as well, the bottle neck seems to be the PCI
bus itself past this point.

> Well, any multiport ethernet card for 10Mbps on each port that you recomend?
> (or at leas that works with linux/debian)

	Take a look at the Cogent (not adaptec) quad cards, the 6944TX
is the quad 10/100, there is a similar 10 card available, both based
on the DEC tulip 21140.

> BTW: Does proxy-arp need more CPU than just routing?

	Not a measurable diff from what I have seem, just the overhead
of answering the extra arps.  Though not truly routing :)  The packets
are routed just like normal, it is just purposeful arp spoofing...

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.