Re: Very huge email service

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, WOL - Andreas Plesner Jacobsen wrote:
>> I think that smart SMTP gateways are the way to split between several Linux
>> machines not NFS.  The other option is to have NFS from a Netapp (which does
>> perfrom) and then have any machine deliver for any user.
>
>That would solve one part, the other part, POP3 would either require
>a frontend/storage solution or require that people get their separate
>POP-server, which could prove a management hassle.

There was a presentation at CALU from someone who's already done all this.
He wrote a POP front-end which looked at the "user XXXX" string and then made
a connection to the real POP server.  His software is open source, but it
wouldn't be too difficult to re-write anyway.

>> Maybe a group of us should start sending out email to all the big Argentinian
>> ISPs offering to work for whoever submits the winning bid!  I'd be quite
>> happy to live in Argentina for 6 months or so to implement such a system.
>> I'm sure that between the 5-6 of us who have been discussing this we have
>> enough combined skills and experience to complete this project with ease
>> provided that we have the hardware.
>
>Would be fun.

Let's do it.  Anyone who is interested please email me your resume by Sunday
at the latest.  On Monday I'll send a summary to everyone who's interested,
and then if there's no disagreements someone will have to send it to the
Argentinan ISPs (prferrably someone who knows the language).

--
Electronic information tampers with your soul.