Re: it's safe to run a web hosting server with the unstable distributions ?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, John Haggerty wrote:

> Is there a good example of something in debian breaking a general
> script/program server side?

In the past, the upgrade of libmysqlclient.so.6 caused grief for most
packages that version-depended on libmysqlclient.so.4.  Having a
non-production computer that gets upgraded first (personal discipline)
lets you avoid some "bad timing" upgrades.  I use my own box for that.

With Debian, besides the stable and unstable distros, there is also
"frozen" ... the soon-to-be-stable (AKA potato) that has been in "code
freeze" since Jan 16.  Usually (I've been through a couple), by the time
it is frozen for a while the most significant problems have been
eliminated.  It seems to me that most of the time the dist is in frozen,
the maintainers are concentrating on ensuring all the package
inter-dependencies are resolved ... and slipping in bugfixes from upstream
maintainers.

If I was to do a new distribution install today, I would go with frozen.
It has the 2.2.x kernel, the recent glibc and some configuration stuff
which will ease future maintenance.

Gerard MacNeil, P. Eng                          macneil@supercity.ns.ca
System Administrator
Supercity Internet Services                     http://www.supercity.ns.ca