Re: Re[2]: LDAP + quotas

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:04, Kevin J. Menard, Jr. wrote:
> >>     What I ideally want to be able to do is assign each virtual host a
> >>     group, and set that quota of that group to whatever their max
> >> allowed disk space is (for instance, 50 MB), and then have their web
> >> folder and all user mailboxes in that group be restricted to that 50 MB
> >> limit.
> >>
> >>     Anyone know if this is possible?  And if so, how to do it?
>
> RC> I suggest using two unix groups, one for web and the other for mail.
>
> Any particular reason why? :)  I only suggested on group because I wanted
> the 50MB restriction imposed for mail + web combined.  And if I do two
> groups in LDAP, am I gonna notice any slow downs worth noting?  (I don't

No!  I suggested two groups because having separate limits for web and mail
makes more sense to me.  But if you want a single limit that's your choice.

> RC> Then store the quota in some suitable LDAP attribute (NB the standard
> RC> schemas don't have a suitable attribute).
>
> Recommend anyone in particular?  RoomNumber might work :-P  Or do you have
> some sort of schema you use on your own?  I ended up using your services
> schema within my own OID since there isn't an official debian one yet :-P

I think that some type of quota attribute is needed.  I suggest that you hack
one yourself in the short term.  Hopefully we'll have an official Debian
schema that will satisfy your requirements before woody is released...

> RC> Eventually I think I'll develop a debian package of scripts for doing
> this RC> type of stuff, so if you write such a cron job then make sure you
> send me a RC> copy.  ;)
>
> Sure can do.  How often do you figure such a cron job should run?  I mean,
> my quota values really don't change often.  Actually, once they're set,
> that's usually about it.  So, a cron job of once a day could maybe suffice,
> but if I'm creating a new virtual domain, and it doesn't have quotas til
> the end of the day, that might not be cool :-/

It's your decision.  For the type of things I do 30 minutes would be the
largest amount of time that I'd want to wait.

> RC> I've got user names much longer than 8 characters without any problems.
> RC> After 31 characters the names can't be represented in utmp properly
> (which RC> can cause some minor hassles for login accounts and will stuff
> up Portslave RC> amoung other programs).  But there's no problems for other
> things.
>
> RC> I've done tests with user-names around 60 characters long in LDAP and
> my RC> (admittedly basic) tests worked fine.
>
> Hmm . . . and they appear in ls fine?  Maybe the period i'm using in the
> uid as user.domain.com is being interpretted as a group or something?

Not on 80 column displays!!!

> Thanks for the reply.  This system could work.  But I think the real
> solution would be to devise a way to have system quotas read directly from
> LDAP.  Oh well.  C'est la vie.

No way!  You want the kernel to issue something that results in an LDAP read
on every file access?