Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:55:12PM +1000, Glenn Hocking wrote:
> > Seems that one persons advertising email is another persons spam.....
>
> no, the key difference between advertising email and spam is that spam
> is unsolicited.
>
> not all advertising email is spam, and not all spam is advertising.
>
> if it was unsolicited, then it's spam - regardless of content.
>
> if it was sent with permission (e.g. by direct request or by confirmed
> subscription) then it's not spam - regardless of content.

I think the point is that some people do not remember or realize they
joined up for something. For example (I mentioned this in another email
sent to the list), I bought an EA (electronic arts) game, and when I
signed up for their "auto-update" feature, i read that my email address
would be used to keep me informed of new updates and new games of the same
type. I think many people wouldn't read that in the agreement... so they
incorrectly *think* that the mail they get from EA is spam.

Hence, the sentence "> Seems that one persons advertising email is another
persons spam....." would be true in that case... legitimate advertising
becomes spam in the perception of the ignorant user.

(I'm not saying this is true all the time... many times, it is just plain
spam, but I'm just showing the flip side of the coin).

BTW everyone, please don't take anything anyone says in this list
personally. Spam, RBLs, etc. are all very subjective and are nearly like
religion, so lets not get personal or anything. Lets just keep it to the
technical merits and facts :-)