Re: Apache / SUEXEC on woody...

On 16 Oct 2002 06:55:05 -0500
Justin Ryan <justin@gnubian.org> wrote:

> Heya all..
>
> I'm having trouble with Apache/SUEXEC on my woody system..  I have some
> vhosts that need to run their own cgi scripts.  This all works fine,
> until I add User/Group directives into the VirtualHost configuration.

Hey Justin.

I've gone through nearly the same thing a few months ago...

Be sure to hit this page if you haven't already.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html

In your case, I think the docroot that the error is referring to is not the docroot for the virtual host, but the docroot under which suexec is set to run.

>From above page
-suexec-docroot=DIR
Define as the DocumentRoot set for Apache. This will be the only hierarchy (aside from UserDirs) that can be used for suEXEC behavior. The default directory is the --datadir value with the suffix "/htdocs", e.g. if you configure with "-- datadir=/home/apache" the directory "/home/apache/htdocs" is used as document root for the suEXEC wrapper.

I had to recompile suexec with docroot set differently before it would work properly.

I don't know what the suexec docroot is with the stock Apache compile on debian, that might be worth investigating.

--
Dustin Douglas