sendmail connection timeout problem

Hi there,

i have a problem on my primary mail server. it runs debian woody and sendmail.
it is forwarding mails with the mailertable feature to our customers
mailservers. the customers are connected to our PoP via leased-lines.

here the error from the mail.log
Apr  9 15:06:11 mx1 sm-mta[2220]: h39D1BoU002214: timeout waiting for input
from [customer mailserver's ip] during client greeting

after 2 to 3 retries the mails are delivered ...

so the messages get deferred for 1 to 3 times and so the mail delay is 5-15
minutes, wich is not acceptable for out customer.

Have played with the timeouts but this doesn't improve the mail delivery.

Every time i telneted to port 25 of the customer server the greeting from the
customer's server took not longer than 1 second. So it has to be a problem of
the sendmail configuration. It happens not only to our customer, as i can
also see this problem happening with other internet mailservers.

The leased-lines are up and I run netsaint to check the customers smtp server.
The banwidth usage on the leased lines is never obove 50% so smtp traffic
should go through without problems. The bandwidth is between 2 and 6 Mbit/s

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Regards,

mfl

--- Appendix ---

dpkg --list | grep sendmail
ii  sendmail       8.12.3-6.3
ii  sendmail-doc   8.12.3-6.3

OK, here my sendmail.mc

VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.3-4 2002-04-15 17:35:56 cowboy Exp $')
OSTYPE(`debian')dnl
DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl
dnl #
dnl # General defines
dnl #
LOCAL_CONFIG
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
FEATURE(`nouucp', `reject')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl

dnl # added 20030225 by mfl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn')dnl
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `1000')dnl
define(`confMAX_QUEUE_CHILDREN', `500')dnl
define(`confMAX_RUNNERS_PER_QUEUE', `150')dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `1h')dnl

dnl # timeouts # added by mfl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `5m')dnl
define(`confTO_ICONNECT', `3m')dnl
define(`confTO_MISC', `5m')dnl
define(`confTO_HOSTSTATUS', `5m')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT', `1s')dnl
define(`confSEPARATE_PROC', `true')dnl
define(`confDIAL_DELAY', `15s')dnl

dnl #
dnl # Dialup/LAN connection overrides
dnl #
include(`/etc/mail/dialup.m4')dnl
include(`/etc/mail/provider.m4')dnl

MAILER_DEFINITIONS
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', ``$j Sendmail; ready to serve... ; $b'')