Re: Re[2]: phpBB vulnerability exploited

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Marek Podmaka wrote:
>   Yes, I have been doing the same with /tmp, but some debian packages
>   won't install on noexec /tmp. But there are other directorieso n my
>   system which are world writable - for example /var/tmp and
>   /var/lock.

If you can make /tmp noexec, you can also make /var/tmp and /var/lock
noexec.

File wishlist bugs against packages that run stuff in /tmp, request that the
maintainer not close it but rather mark it "wontfix" if he doesn't want to
fix the bug (so that we can find which packages do not support noexec /tmp).
Use a consistent subject for this (e.g.:  <foo>: does not suport noexec
/tmp)

>   Can entire /var be mounted noexec?

No. It will break all chroots, and also dpkg.

  Henrique Holschuh