Re: Courier or Cyrus

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Negative, it's a server option, not a client option.  I've never tried
> changing it after a server was setup, so I'm not sure it can be done 'after
> the fact' but I do know that it does what you'd want which is seps go from

In Cyrus you can change the separator (dot or /) and hierarchy mode
(everything under inbox and shared folders off root OR everything off root
and shared folders prefixed by a configurable string -- which is the mode
OutCrash users like) with relative impunity.

You WILL get grief from / and . in folder names when you switch modes.
Nothing will break in the server side, but the offending character (that is
now a folder separator) will be changed to something else by Cyrus (^, I
think).  But appart from that, everything will work just fine in proper IMAP
clients like Mulbery, and even some improper ones like mutt.

> . to / for the clients.  however there is nothing in cyrus that prevents
> you from creating a mailbox mamed my.mail.box where my and mail are simply
> totally empty and aren't valid cyrus folders, just hierarchy.....many mail
> clients don't understand this though, and it's the clients fault for not
> asking for something it can understand in that case. :)

In fact, a client that cannot deal with such type of folders is broken.

  Henrique Holschuh