Re: autoconf for Java?

On Tuesday 27 July 1999, at 13 h 4, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:

> I'm looking for a set of autoconf macros to create configure scripts for them

They don't seem to exist, so here is my version:

divert(-1)

autoconf M4 macros for Java programs
Copyright Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr>, 1999
Released under the GPL licence

A sample configure.in is at the end of this file. Each macro is
documented by comments before its definition. Here is a summary:

AC_PROG_JAVAC: finds a Java compiler
AC_PROG_JAVA: finds a Java virtual machine
AC_CHECK_CLASS: finds if we have the given class (beware of CLASSPATH!)
AC_CHECK_RQRD_CLASS: finds if we have the given class and stops otherwise

divert(0)

divert(-1)
AC_PROG_JAVAC tests an existing Java compiler. It uses the environment
variable JAVAC then tests in sequence various common Java compilers. For
political reasons, it starts with the free ones.
If you want to force a specific compiler:
 - at the configure.in level, set JAVAC=yourcompiler before calling
   AC_PROG_JAVAC
 - at the configure level, setenv JAVAC
You can use the JAVAC variable in your Makefile.in, with @JAVAC@.

*Warning*: its success or failure can depend on a proper setting of the
CLASSPATH env. variable.

TODO: allow to exclude compilers (rationale: most Java programs cannot compile
with some compilers like guavac).
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_PROG_JAVAC,[
test -z "$JAVAC" && AC_CHECK_PROGS(JAVAC, "gcj -C" guavac jikes javac)
test -z "$JAVAC" && AC_MSG_ERROR([no acceptable Java compiler found in \$PATH])
AC_PROG_JAVAC_WORKS
])

divert(-1)
AC_PROG_JAVA tests an existing Java virtual machine. It uses the
environment variable JAVA then tests in sequence various common Java
virtual machines. For political reasons, it starts with the free ones.
You *must* call [AC_PROG_JAVAC] before.
If you want to force a specific VM:
 - at the configure.in level, set JAVA=yourvm before calling AC_PROG_JAVA
 - at the configure level, setenv JAVA
You can use the JAVA variable in your Makefile.in, with @JAVA@.

*Warning*: its success or failure can depend on a proper setting of the
CLASSPATH env. variable.

TODO: allow to exclude virtual machines (rationale: most Java programs
cannot run with some VM like kaffe).

TODO: allow to call this macro without [AC_PROG_JAVAC] before, using a
class included uuencoded as an here document and uudecoded on the fly
(check uudecode first) (rationale: a Java package can have no sources).
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_PROG_JAVA,[
test -z "$JAVA" && AC_CHECK_PROGS(JAVA, kaffe java)
test -z "$JAVA" && AC_MSG_ERROR([no acceptable Java virtual machine found in \$PATH])
AC_PROG_JAVA_WORKS
])

divert(-1)
AC_CHECK_CLASS tests the existence of a given Java class, either in
a jar or in a '.class' file.

*Warning*: its success or failure can depend on a proper setting of the
CLASSPATH env. variable.
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_CHECK_CLASS,[
CLASS=$1
echo -n "Testing if we have Java class $CLASS... "
JAVA_TEST=Test.java
CLASS=`echo $CLASS|sed 's/\./_/g'`
cat << \EOF > $JAVA_TEST
import $1;
public class Test {
}
EOF
if AC_TRY_COMMAND($JAVAC $JAVA_TEST) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  eval HAVE_$CLASS=yes
  eval HAVE_LAST_CLASS=yes
  echo "yes"
else
  eval HAVE_$CLASS=no
  eval HAVE_LAST_CLASS=no
  echo "no (check config.log, CLASSPATH may be wrong?)"
fi
rm -f $JAVA_TEST
])

divert(-1)
AC_CHECK_RQRD_CLASS tests the existence of a given Java class, either in
a jar or in a '.class' file and fails if it doesn't exist.

*Warning*: its success or failure can depend on a proper setting of the
CLASSPATH env. variable.
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_CHECK_RQRD_CLASS,[
CLASS=`echo $1|sed 's/\./_/g'`
AC_CHECK_CLASS($1)
if test "$HAVE_LAST_CLASS" = "no"; then
	AC_MSG_ERROR([Required class $1 missing, exiting.])
fi
])

divert(-1)
AC_CHECK_CLASSPATH just displays the CLASSPATH, for the edification
of the user.
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_CHECK_CLASSPATH,[
if test -z "$CLASSPATH"; then
	echo "You have no CLASSPATH, I hope it is good"
else
	echo "You have CLASSPATH $CLASSPATH, hope it is correct"
fi
])

divert(-1)
Internal use
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(
AC_PROG_JAVA_WORKS,
[
echo -n "Testing if $JAVA works... "
JAVA_TEST=Test.java
CLASS_TEST=Test.class
TEST=Test
changequote(, )dnl
cat << \EOF > $JAVA_TEST
public class Test {
	    public static void main (String args[]) {}
}
EOF
changequote([, ])dnl
if AC_TRY_COMMAND($JAVAC $JAVA_TEST) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  if AC_TRY_COMMAND($JAVA $TEST) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    echo "yes"
  else
    echo "no"
    AC_MSG_ERROR(The Java VM $JAVA failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?))
  fi
else
  AC_MSG_ERROR(The Java compiler $JAVAC failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?))
fi
rm -f $JAVA_TEST $CLASS_TEST
]
)

divert(-1)
Internal use
divert(0)

AC_DEFUN(AC_PROG_JAVAC_WORKS,[
echo -n "Testing if $JAVAC works... "
JAVA_TEST=Test.java
CLASS_TEST=Test.class
cat << \EOF > $JAVA_TEST
public class Test {
}
EOF
if AC_TRY_COMMAND($JAVAC $JAVA_TEST) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  echo "yes"
else
  echo "no"
  AC_MSG_ERROR([The Java compiler $JAVAC failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)])
fi
rm -f $JAVA_TEST $CLASS_TEST
])

divert(-1)
TODO: add a AC_CHECK_JAVA_SOURCE where the user can give a complete
Java source to compile or to compile and run.
divert(0)

divert(-1)
dnl This is a sample configure.in
dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
dnl Drop the [] around the macro names

[

AC_INIT(UnTag.java)

dnl Checks for programs.
AC_CHECK_CLASSPATH
AC_PROG_JAVAC
AC_PROG_JAVA

dnl Checks for classes
AC_CHECK_RQRD_CLASS(org.xml.sax.Parser)
AC_CHECK_RQRD_CLASS(com.jclark.xml.sax.Driver)

AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

]

divert(0)