Re: Sun's Community Licence (Was: Various issues: kaffe, compilers, freeness, etc.

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 11:24:24AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > - A total ban on SCSL code. The license is simply too dangerous to
> >   include in the Debian distribution, even under non-free.
>
> Could you elaborate on that?

The SCSL is like the GPL, a viral license. The chief difference, however,
is that the GPL makes everything it touches subject to free redistribution
and a garauntee of source availability and the SCSL makes everything it
touches subject to Sun licensing fees. The SCSL even goes so far as to
define any implementation of a Sun specification as a "Modified Work".
Basically, this means that if you implement any part of the new 1.2 API
or Jini API, even from scratch, Sun will "own" your implementation and you
will have to pay them for the right to use it.

> > - We must cease to use the name "Java" in any way. It is a trademark,
> >   not a standard and we endanger ourselves by using it anywhere in our
> >   distribution. Sun can compel us to stop using it and if it is part
>
> This is something I've often heard from the Perl or Python folks. If it is
> true, and if there isn't an acceptable alternative (Tea?), we're in deep
> trouble.

I would think that "JVM" is a safe way to refer to it:

kaffe: supplies jvm, jvm-base-classes, jvm-servlet-classes, jvm-compiler

Or something...

Ean Schuessler                                             As above
Novare International Inc.                                  so below
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke