Re: Sun's Community Licence

Ean R . Schuessler Writes:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 10:26:41AM -0700, Cris J. Holdorph wrote:
> > So would that cover if someone went to Amazon.com and ordered "The Java
> > Virtual Machine Specification", 2cd ed, by Lindholm & Yellin (ISBN 0201432943)
> > and then implement according to that, then you say that Sun claims it as a
> > Modified work?  How can they do that, when to purchase the book you never
> > signed a license agreement?
>
> I am not sure if the VM spec itself is under the SCSL yet, but if it is then
> you can rest assured that your implementation is a derivative work in Sun's
> mind.
>
> As to how they can do it, they do it just like this:
>
> 13.  "Modification(s)" means (i) any change to Covered Code;

You missed my point though.  The section you quote, is from the SCSL, which
you read and agree to (either in writing or by clicking on "I accept").
You do not have to do either, matter of fact I doubt the SCSL is anywhere
in the Book I mentioned.  So my point remains.  What if you just pick up
the book where it is documented, and never agree to the SCSL?

---- Cris J H

--
Cris J. Holdorph
holdorph@home.com