Re: JDE

>>>>> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:15:29 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> said:

 Andreas> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Ruud de Rooij wrote:
 >> > No, I think this is the right behaviour.  The only thing which
 >> > would make sense could be, that the ~/.emacs files of each user
 >> > could be scanned and the line could be added as comment with a
 >> > describing text.  So each user could be informed about the
 >> > installed packages.  I think that not all users parse the
 >> > database of installed programs every week and read the according
 >> > docs.  But this would be much more effort in the installation
 >> > scripts.
 >>
 >> This sounds like something that needs to be coordinated between
 >> all emacs and emacs add-on packages maintainers.  You could bring
 >> it up on debian-emacsen@lists.debian.org.
 Andreas> Is someone subscribed to this list and could foreward this
 Andreas> idea, please.  Of course, only if he thinks that this is a
 Andreas> good idea ...

Messing with a user's config files is generally a bad idea, but it
might be nice if all emacs package maintainers added something like a
/usr/doc/example.emacs file to their packages so that there was a
simple place for all these config statements to go and be found.
(This is assuming that autoloads won't work or are a bad idea in a
/etc/(x)emacs/site-start.d/*.)

Dres

PS: crossposted to the emacsen list to get feedback from there.

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com>         |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.ioa.com/~dres           |  Linux is kewl!