Re: Servlets, was Re: Various issues: kaffe, compilers, freeness, etc.

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 12:46:20AM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> That is nice to hear. I have our classes running with Apache JServ, but
> since neither Paul nor I run it in a production environment we have not
> advertised the library very much. They really should be integrated in the
> Classpath project (we already assigned copyright to the FSF, but we didn't
> have time to really put them in the Classpath CVS).

> If you could email me (privately) what we should change about the classes
> (or packaging) that would make it more easy to use with Apache JServ
> I would really appreciate it.

This isn't so much a problem with your classes as it is with JServ. The
automatic restart code is basically broken and comments in their code say as
much.

> I am also currently maintaining GNUJSP. (Although other people write the code,
> and I only collect the patches and maintain the web pages. Which reminds me
> that I should also release a new version since someone discovered a DOS.)

Ah, so you are the maintainer of GNUJSP? I would like to tell you about a
little project that we have been working on. Its called "Webslinger" and it
is basically an implementation of JSP. However, we did not stop there. We
have also created a system for binding arbitrary tags to code generators.
This way, instead of:

Connection con = ... blah ...
Statement stmt = ...
ResultSet rs = ...
... code ... blah ... code ...

You can do:

<db con="con" stmt="myStmt" rs="myResults" query="select * from blah">

and a code generator expands that into the necessary code.

> (I have actually bought two O'Reilly books on Java 2 security and would like
> to implement some classes for the classpath project. Which I could not claim
> to be according to the official specification since I use third party books.
> But since I do not use any of Suns material directly would I be clean?)

Its not necessarily clear. You need to look at the documentation you are
using very carefully in order to be clear about your rights. My rule of thumb
for the time being is "be paranoid and don't trust Sun".

Ean Schuessler                   An oderless programmer work-a-like
Novare International Inc.                     Silent and motionless
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke