Re: Okay this is even odder

Here are some results for you. It is interesting to note that performance
under concurrency actually _degrades_ with the IBMJDK. Whether this is
due to thread safty issues in AServe, idiosyncracies in the IBMJDK,
or the finickiness of my tricked out dual Celeron is not clear to me.
Apache obviously yields benefits from the presence of two processors
and Kaffe's performance remains predictable even though unimpressive.

I cannot successfully get Toba to run with concurrent requests and it
even has problems with single threaded operation. It is, however,
relatively performant.

Apache, static content, default debian page:

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:   10.001 seconds
Complete requests:      1958
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      8055212 bytes
HTML transferred:       7497182 bytes
Requests per second:    195.78
Transfer rate:          805.44 kb/s received

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   10.008 seconds
Complete requests:      4141
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      17052530 bytes
HTML transferred:       15871205 bytes
Requests per second:    413.77
Transfer rate:          1703.89 kb/s received

Kaffe, AServe, static content, default debian page:

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:   10.026 seconds
Complete requests:      308
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      1216308 bytes
HTML transferred:       1179332 bytes
Requests per second:    30.72
Transfer rate:          121.32 kb/s received

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   10.006 seconds
Complete requests:      305
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      1204748 bytes
HTML transferred:       1167845 bytes
Requests per second:    30.48
Transfer rate:          120.40 kb/s received

IBMJDK, AServe, static content, default debian page:

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:   10.004 seconds
Complete requests:      1556
Failed requests:        42
   (Connect: 0, Length: 42, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      5979276 bytes
HTML transferred:       5797106 bytes
Requests per second:    155.54
Transfer rate:          597.69 kb/s received

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   10.003 seconds
Complete requests:      1496
Failed requests:        42
   (Connect: 0, Length: 42, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      5743823 bytes
HTML transferred:       5567366 bytes
Requests per second:    149.56
Transfer rate:          574.21 kb/s received

Toba, AServe, static content, default debian page:

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:   10.006 seconds
Complete requests:      1030
Failed requests:        1
   (Connect: 0, Length: 1, Exceptions: 0)
Total transferred:      4063537 bytes
HTML transferred:       3940041 bytes
Requests per second:    102.94
Transfer rate:          406.11 kb/s received

[ Concurrent requests crash Toba ]

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 01:14:28PM -0700, Tim Wilkinson wrote:
> Ean,
>
> What kind of static pages performance do you get from your
> configuration?  Just to I have numbers to compare.
>
> Tim
> --
>   Tim Wilkinson                         Tel:     +1 510 704 1660
>   Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.,      Fax:     +1 510 704 1893
>   Berkeley, CA, USA.                    Email:   tim@transvirtual.com

Ean Schuessler                Director of New Products and Technologies
Novare International Inc.        The Unstoppable Fist of Digital Action
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke