Problems with examples of libpsjava (fwd)

Sorry, if this posting reaches the list twice, but I didn't found
it in my mailbox from the list and I'm afraid that it has been lost
the day before.

Hello,

I managed to get my first "Hello-Word"-like Java programs.
Now I started fiddling around with the examples of libpgjava
because I intend to write a database application.

I copied the examples to my home directory and compiled them
with javac which is shipped with the following Debian package:

Package: jdk1.1
Section: non-free/devel
Installed-Size: 12103
Maintainer: Stephen Zander <gibreel@debian.org>
Version: 1.1.7v2-2

Now I wanted to run an example but got always the same error
message:

~> java example.basic jdbc:postgresql:database name password
PostgreSQL basic test v6.3 rev 1

Exception caught.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: postgresql.Driver
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: postgresql.Driver
        at example.basic.<init>(basic.java:28)
	at example.basic.main(basic.java:171)

I really have no idea how to fix that.  The CLASSPATH variable
is not set as I read in the Debian documentation.  Could this be
the point that some CLASSPATHes have to be set and if yes
which?

Kind regards

      Andreas.