Re: Java on linux questions

On Friday 12 November 1999, at 17 h 8, the keyboard of Dave Swegen
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> wrote:

> linux if at all possible. So my main question is: What is the state of java
> under linux?

Under Linux, I don't know. Under Debian, you have a nice set of free and good
Java compilers in the currently 'unstable' release ('potato', aka Debian 2.2).
The only virtual machine which works is in non-free, alas. (But, for simple
programs such as the ones used for teaching, the free kaffe VM may be enough.
Another solution is to use gcj and to compile to native code, thus solving the
VM problem.)

> I'd like to go the free route if possible. Are jikes and kaffe a good
> combo?

I like jikes: very fast (which is good for teaching) and compiles everything
(which is not the case with gcj). A point to study is the quality of the error
messages for the beginners. Advices welcome, I start a Java course in February
:-)

Kaffe fails for every non-trivial program.