Re: On the use of pre-compiled classes in packages

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 02:30:11PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> *I* would not mind (I'm a pragmatic), providing the *detailed* (i.e. Makefile) instructions for recompiling are in the Debian package (one of the packages which started the thread seems genuinely incompilable on Debian).
>
> May be the rest of the Debian Project will disagree. Accepting in "main" something we cannot recompile seem a gross violation of the DFSG. rms would love that :-)
> Anyway, if someone tries to put in "main" a package which is not compilable fr
om the source of the package, I would certainly raise the issue on debian-projec
t.

Would RMS love the fact that some packages require the non-free JDK to compile, while being distributed under the GPL?

What makes a Java package DFSG-compliant after all? If a package is distributed under a DFSG license, a dependency with the [Sun's] JDK (or other non-free libraries/compilers/tools) make it non-free?

Anyway, what set of core classes would be recommended to compile a package (JDK 1.1, JDK 1.2, Kaffe, Classpath, etc.)? BTW, is there any reason why the core classes of Classpath are not packaged for Debian beyond the fact none has intersts in doing so? It seems that Classpath is the unique DFSG alternative to the JDK 1.2 specific core classes.