Re: additions to java-policy

Hallo Stefan,

* Stefan Gybas wrote:
>Ben Burton wrote:
>>This is not a valid argument.  Just because debian packages don't use a
>>feature doesn't mean users aren't using the feature with their own
>>home-grown software.
>But I think the process should go in the other direction: Instead of
>specifing something and waiting for people to implement it we should
>document what has been implemented and is working well.

IMO we should put somethign together what will work and then change
the rest of teh package to that way. Only following the 'biggest one'
isn't realy good...

>Using versioned JARs in packages without versioned dependencies or
>outside of packages is very dangerous.

So bugs should be filed against them... Lintian?

>If we want to use versioned JARs, we also need to put the version in the
> package name - otherwise we'll gain nothing at all.

IMO the jars in /usr/share/java aren't any differnt than 'normal'
libraries, which get versioned package names.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net
     "Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm."